UH media students win 24 awards in statewide journalism competition
Journalism students at the School of Communications at the University of Hawaii at the College of Social Sciences of MÄnoa (CSS) won 24 awards in the Society of Professional Journalists 2020 Hawaii Chapter Journalism Excellence Competition. The prices were announced virtually on September 29. The annual statewide event recognizes the best of journalism in Hawaii.
CSS journalism students swept all categories of students and capstone students of the 2020 spring and fall semesters of DAY 470 and 480 were recognized in six of the eight student media categories.
âIt means a lot to get a prize,â said Alyssa Rodello, who won first place in the Student Video News category for his article on sex trafficking, and is expected to graduate in May 2022. involved who are constantly working to make a difference.
Since four years, EUH MÄnoa’s journalism students had a strong presence in the competition, winning almost all of the awards in the student categories.
Report on student news in any media
- 1st place: Linsey dower, “Nothing for dinner: restaurants are laying off staff”
- 2nd place: Chaz mihara, “Cool at school” UHMtv Show # 20, Spring 2020
- 3rd place: Sophie compton, “Problems within the Office of Hawaiian Affairs”
Report on student functionality in any media
- 1st place: Shafkat Anowar, “We are not Americans!” We will die like Hawaiians, we will never be Americans! Ka Leo O Hawaii
- 2nd place: Professional journalist and EUH Manoa instructor Dave backdon and Elizabeth ufi, “Happy Bento stays true to its roots while adapting to COVID-19”
- 3rd place: Kirsten Sibley, “EUH athletes go pro â UHMtv Show # 20, Spring 2020
Student news spot in any media
- 1st place: Shafkat Anowar, “I was one of the million international students who feared deportation” Ka Leo O Hawaii
- 2nd place: Cassie Ordonio, âThe student media are filing a transparency complaint against the EUH Student Media Council Â»
- 3rd place: Alexa GutiÃ©rrez, “Hawaiirestaurants to deal with COVID â UHMtv Show # 19, Spring 2020
Student investigative report in all media
- 1st place: Natanya Friedheim, “Pegge Hopper and the ‘Myth’ of the Native Hawaiians” Ka Leo O Hawaii
- 2nd place: Geneva Diaz, “Kona Coffee Fraud” UHMtv Show # 20, Spring 2020
- 3rd place: Troy jacobs, “Young vapoteur” UHMtv Show # 20, Spring 2020
New student videos
- 1st place: Alyssa Rodello, “Sex trafficking” UHMtv Show # 22, fall 2020
- 2nd place: Carina Nocon, “Sexual misconduct” UHMtv Show # 19, Spring 2020
- 3rd place: Megan lucas, “Haiku Stairs Future” UHMtv Show # 19, Spring 2020
- 1st place: Shafkat Anowar, “In memory: HPD officers killed in Diamond Head shooting tragedy Â»Ka Leo O Hawaii
- 2nd place: Kate sparhawk, “COVID-19 photo test”
- 3rd place: Georgia Johnson-King and Alyssa Rodello, “Women’s march, women’s voice”
Best multimedia presentation
- 1st place: Elicia Tong, “COVID-19 and Shilin Night Market in Taipei”
- 2nd place: Samantha larson and Shafkat Anowar, “Aloha Stadium lit with Christmas lights for a good cause” Ka Leo O Hawaii
- 3rd place: Megan lucas, “Coronavirus in Hawaii vs. the continent”
- 1st place: Keila Lee, “Coping with dementia” UHMtv Show # 19, Spring 2020
- 2nd place: Ronnie Allen Campman, “Animal wellbeing” UHMtv Show # 19, Spring 2020
- 3rd place: Charissa porter, “Legalize marijuana” UHMtv Show # 22, fall 2020
These works are examples of EUH MÄnoa’s Research Excellence Objectives: Advancing the Company of Research and Creative Work (PDF) and Improve student success (PDF), two of the four objectives identified in the 2015-25 Strategic Plan (PDF), updated in December 2020.